Me: Hey! Whats up?Friend: Hi! Nothing much. Trying to work. Got three new orders. I have to get back to about 5 clients with new ideas.
Me: That is great! You seem to be swamped.
Friend: Ya! I initially thought getting business would be a problem, but it seems like I lack the motivation to get work done on a Monday.
So just like for my friend, most of us find that Mondays are the worst workdays with heaps of things to do; including backlogs from Friday and fresh work to get started on.Unfortunately, if you are anything like me, you skip your Monday reminiscing the weekend and convincing yourself that four working days is all you need to get work done.This obviously means work will spill into the weekend or your Friyay will turn into a long Friday.Both are big no-nos. So here are some tried and tested ways to not skip a Monday!
- Wake up early: Yes! Most of us HATE waking up early and it seems impossible to do after you have slept in late for two days straight. Waking up at a reasonably early time; about 2 hours before you head out, will help you plan and finish a bunch of morning chores and activities like exercising and sitting down at the table for breakfast. It will also help you get to work on time which acts as motivation to get started to the work list.
- Fix yourself a cuppa: A friend once told me that without her cup of coffee, she wasn’t able to function at all. So whatever it is; a large latte or a cup of green tea, get it! Something hot and warm will help you stay awake, alert and focused.I normally drink a cup of green tea, a little after lunch because that's when I need something to sip on.
- Get off social media: I know the first thing most of us do when we get into work, is quickly check Facebook & Instagram to see how everyone else’s weekend went.This of course leads to watching three funny videos and before you know it, you’ve spent over an hour surfing these platforms and totally lost focus on your work. So make sure you get to work first and set a time to check social media; which is not until late afternoon.
- Make a to-do list: This is the first thing I do everyday no matter which day of the week it is.To-do lists are so useful, they ensure you do not forget any task. These lists also gives you a sense of the amount of work you have and helps you plan your day. And of course this works great because there is no greater pleasure than checking tasks off the list.I always use a pen and paper to write my lists but there are plenty of tools available online too.
- Reward yourself: I learnt this little trick when I was studying. Every time I finished a couple of chapters, I would indulge in a long conversation with a friend or watch an episode of my favorite sitcom.The reward was something I set on my own and it really helped me stay motivated. I have learnt that this works brilliantly at work too.The bigger the reward the better I work. Try it!
- Take a break: Mondays are just the beginning of the week and are super important, so don’t give up.If none of these help just take a break, go for a walk or even a power nap. Sometimes starting fresh really helps you stay motivated and focused.
My last couple of Mondays have been productive.I hope these help you have a Happy Monday. Don’t forget to tell me what you do to help yourself stay productive on a Monday.